News:

Arhiva Bitange foruma

Main Menu

FPS HELP ON WINDOWS 7 x64(64) and x86(32) bit

Started by inzane, February 23, 2012, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inzane

[GUIDE] System/Game optimization and tweaks

C/P of my guide posted on Cybergamer.org a few months ago, I didn't update anything since then except the links so just want to share it here. It contains many tweaks and optimizations for boosting up you PC/game performance on Windows 7. Hopefully some of you will find it useful:)

1. System tweaks and optimization
General:
- I recommend a fresh system installation with 2 partitions; 1 for system files and 1 for your data. If u don't have a fresh one, doesn't matter it will work but the effect will be smaller.
- Make sure you've updated all drivers(sound, LAN, peripheral..)
- Maintain(defrag, clean, scan..) your PC regulary

Step 1 - Basic visual tweaks
Start - Control panel - View by: Small icons and click on the System icon. Go to Advanced system settings and under the Performance tab click Settings.
Untick the next options:
Animate controls and elements inside windows
Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing
Animations in the taskbar and Start Menu
Enable Aero Peek
Fade or slide menus into view
Fade or slide ToolTips into view
Fade out menu items after clicking
Save taskbar thumbnail previews
Show shadows under mouse pointer
Show translucent selection rectangle
Show windows contents while dragging
Slide open combo boxes
Smoots-scroll list boxes

Step 2 - Turn off User Account Control
Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Change User Accounts Settins - Move slider to never notify

Step 3 - Faster boot
Start - msconfig - Boot - go to Advanced options - tick Number of processors and choose the highest

Step 4 - Disable unnesessary services
Detailed, full list of services and possible combinations - www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Start - services.msc - and then just right click on the process - Properties - choose Startup type disabled or Automatic(delayed start)

The next services I have disabled:
Diagnostic Service Host - troubleshoot and problem detection, not really needed
Diagnostic System Host - troubleshoot and problem detection, not really needed
HomeGroup Provider - if ur not using HomeGroup
Print spooler - if ur not using printer
Server - only if you dont share files over network
Remote registry - security reasons
UPnP Device Host - if not networked
Windows Search - not really needed
Function Discovery Provider Host
Windows Event Log
SSDP Discovery
Internet Connection Sharing(ICS)

The next services I've set on manual:
Diagnostic Policy Service - troubleshoot and problem detection, not really needed
Distributed Link Tracking Client - maintanins NTFS files on network
Computer browser
Offline files
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - if ur not sharing
HomeGroup Listener - if ur not using HomeGroup
Windows Time - maitains time changes
Windows Update - name says
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Windows Error Reporting Service
Smart Card - if u r not using smart card
Routing and Remote Acces
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Media Center Extender Service
Protected Storage
Fax

The next services I have set on Automatic(delayed start):
Securty Center
Windows Defender
Antivirus

Optional:
Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - disabled
Lawasoft Ad-Aware Service - manual
Steam Client Service - manual
Windows Live ID Assistant - manual

* some of them might be disabled by default

Step 5 - Remove unnessesary features
Start - Control Panel - Programs and features - Turn windows features on or off - untick Windows Gadget Platform, Tablet PC Components, Windows Search, Games(optional)

Step 6 - Power options
Start - Control Panel - Power Options - choose High Performance or Gaming Mode Power Plan(if you have TuneUp Utilities)

Step 7 - Indexing options
Start - Control Panel - Indexing Options - go to modify and untick everything

Step 8 - Remove startup programs
You can use either msconfig, Ccleaner or Autoruns. Remove everything except your antivirus, peripheral drivers(mouse, keyboard, printer etc), sound drivers, CCC or similar important services.
For remove you will probably have: Nero service, Office services, Quicktime, some toolbars, JavaUpdate, some dock's, xfire, steam, MSN..it depends on your installed programs.
If your using msconfig then do the following:
Start - msconfig - Boot - untick the desired programs

If your using CCleaner:
Start - Ccleaner - Tools - Startup - click on service and disable(in case that u will need that service someday) or u can fully delete it from the autorun folder

Or Autoruns:
Open Autoruns.zip - run Autorun.exe - the program will load - untick desired programs

Step 9 - Clean and defrag
It's really important to make sure your PC is clean and defraged. For this i'm using Ccleaner + Disk Defragmenter.
Ccleaner:
Clean:
Start - Ccleaner - Analyze - Run cleaner
* optional you can check some clean options there
Registry check:
Start - Ccleaner - Registry - Scan for issues - Fix selected issues

Disk Defragmenter:
Start - Disk defragmenter - select desired disk - Analyze and then defrag(repeat it few times if needed)

Optional:
Disk cleanup and defragmenting can be done by TuneUp Utilities 2011 or Advanced System Care4

Step 10 - Faster Shutdown
Start - regedit - go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
find WaitToKillServiceTimeout and right click - Modify - change value to 2000 or lower

Step 11 - Faster Menu
Start - regedit - go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
find MenuShowDelay and right click - Modifi - change value to 100 or lower

Step 12 - Advanced visual settings
There are 2 ways for each card manufacturer. For ATi theres CatalystControlCenter and ATI Tray Tools, and for Nvidia theres NVIDIA Control Panel and MSI Afterburner.

Step 13 - Boost up
GameBooster
After we've done everything above, to get more boost in terms of performance I recommend to use GameBooster v2.41(latest official release). From there you can defrag your game files, update important game tools, stop some unnessesary services and many more. If possible use Premium version for all features.

TuneUp Utilities 2012
The program itself contains 1Click-maintenance, disk cleanup, registry cleaner, live optimization, turbo mode..
The most interesting is the last thing. After you properly configure the TuneUp Utilities, the turbo mode will start at the system boot and boost your system(turns off processes, RAM use optimization, increase response rate, speed up loading programs/games..etc)
This tutorial shows some of the features available - www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQIErmYPPc

How to enable and configure Turbo Mode:
So after you installed the program, go to Turbo Mode options, follow setup and untick: Switch to classic window design and Turn off network communication services.
After that tick Turn on permanently and click the "power" button for Turbo mode and the program will be automatically started with Turbo mode at system startup.

How to use clean and defrag your PC with one click?
Open up your Tune Up and click "1-Click Maintenance", it will scan, clean and defrag your system, registry and hard drive.

Optional:
Advanced System Care4 can be used instead of TuneUp Utilities 2011, it's almost the same because it contains similar features.

2. System overclock
Few well explained guides for all new platforms. Some of them are on Croatian but you can choose english translate in right corner.
CPUs:
OC guide for LGA775 CPUs - www.hwgurus.com/edukacija/120-overklok-uputstvo-za-intel-lga-775-procesore.html
OC guide for i3/i5/i7 CPUs - www.hwgurus.com/edukacija/121-overclock-uputstvo-intel-core-i7-i5-i3.html
OC guide for Phenoms II/Athlon CPUs - www.hwgurus.com/edukacija/122-overclock-uputstvo-amd-phenom-ii-i-athlon.html
OC guide for Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs - www.hwgurus.com/edukacija/204-intel-sandy-bridge-oc-vodi.html

GPUs:
With MSI Afterburner - www.bjorn3d.com/articles/Overclocking_with_MSI_Afterburner/1702.html
With ATI Tray Tools - forums.legitreviews.com/about8827.html
With RivaTuner - forums.vr-zone.com/the-overclockers-bay/56017-guide-how-overclock-rivatuner.html

3. Game optimization/tweaks
Mainly for Call of Duty 4, but some thing can be used for other games or programs.

High Priority:
I'll show you 3 ways of doing this. I recommend High because Realtime may cause mouse laggs on some systems.
a)
- minimize game, right click on Taskbar - Start Task Manager, go under tab Processes and find iw3mp.exe. Right click on process and Set Priority - High
- you have to do this everytime after game/program start, so thats the main minus
b)
- use software called Prio, the procedure is the same as in a) but u'll be able to actually save priority for certain processes(programs)
c)
- use Batch files provided below, by using them u can run game and priority will be automatically set on High
32bit batch - www.sendspace.com/file/30etkb
64bit batch - www.sendspace.com/file/c218rm
dx9 on windows 7 x64 and x86 about 30fps i got it with this
                       - www.speedyshare.com/file/RA8xj/d3dx9-34.zip
Defrag game files:
Start GameBooster, go to Game Defrag and select directory of your game. Analyze and click defrag.

Digital Vibrance/Saturation
This is probably the most popular setting, but some of you may dont know about it. By activating this you'll get more intensive colors. To activate do the following:
Radeon:
Open up CCC, go to My Digital Flat-Panels and move Saturation slider.
Nvidia:
Open up NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Adjust desktop color settings and move Digital Vibrance slider.

Required software:
Ccleaner - www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
TuneUp Utilities 2012 - www.tune-up.com/download/
Autoruns - www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns/
GameBooster - www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Prio - www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
Advanced System Care4 - www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
ATI Tray Tools - downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733
MSI Afterburner - event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
RivaTuner - downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Do everything at your own risk, some things may not work for you or in some situations may cause system errors!
If u have any problems, questions or something else feel free to post it below.

Original post: www.cybergamer.org/forums/thread/265104/GUIDE-SystemGame-optimization-and-tweaks!/
my xfire is :wojaerdeljan1994 if u need help but dont spam or i block you

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do everything at your own risk, some things may not work for you or in some situations may cause system errors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!